A philosophy professor writes in with a job market question:
I’m wondering whether associate professors with tenure are ever hired for non-tenured, tenure-track assistant professor positions, and if so, what such candidates should do to increase their chances of getting hired for such jobs? (more…)
Prodigal Academic, a science professor and blogger, lists the “worst conversations I’ve had as a professor.” They include:
- telling a student who was stalking his TA to stop doing so
- the first time dealing with a student who is literally crying over a grade
- giving personal hygiene advice
- being confronted with a screamer
- telling a graduate student the..
Colleges in Colorado have the option of offering “guaranteed transfer” (GT) courses. Standards for these courses are set by statewide requirements called the “GT Pathways Requirements”. The idea is that students taking GT courses at, say, a community college, are getting the kind of quality education that students at the state’s major universities are receiving, so ..