Nottingham Administration Proposes Massive Faculty Cuts
The administration of the University of Nottingham is planning on reducing its full-time faculty by 600 beginning next January, using layoffs (redundancies) if need be.

In response, the local university and college union began a “marking and assessment boycott” on Wednesday and are striking today. They may undertake a longer strike beginning in June.
According to the Nottingham Post:
Nottingham’s branches of the UCU, Unison and Unite [unions]—all of which represent staff at the university—have passed a motion of no confidence in the vice chancellor and the entire executive board. The unions have previously criticised the university’s leadership for alleged financial mismanagement, with the UCU branding the Castle Meadow campus—which cost more than £80 million but was abandoned before it was finished—a vanity project.
The administration’s current plan calls for faculty cuts across the university, aiming for a student-faculty ratio of between 1:18 and 1:22.
I am told that this would imply a roughly 30% reduction in Nottingham’s philosophy faculty.
One Nottingham faculty member said that concerned academics can help by spreading the word and by donating to the local strike fund (as the marking boycott entails a 100% salary deduction), which “helps strikers who will suffer significant hardship from loss of pay due to striking.” You can click here to donate.
A total boycott is a way to lose money. Mark the papers but then boycott second second marking, moderation and progress boards.
Beware – we tried this in the last MAB and were overridden by management who found and paid new second-markers with no expertise by promising them full anonymity, and then later overrode the exam board refusal to approve the marks, pushing them through anyway with some kind of bad faith emergency bylaw.
A university happy to sack 600 academics isn’t likely to worry about pesky quality control measures like 2nd marking etc.