Hiring Spree at Buffalo
Stewart Duncan, currently associate professor at the University of Florida, and Justin Bruner, currently associate professor at the University of Arizona, will both be moving to the University at Buffalo Department of Philosophy, the former as full professor and the latter as associate professor. Buffalo also made five hires at the assistant professor level.
Professor Duncan specializes early modern philosophy. He is the author of Materialism from Hobbes to Locke (Oxford University Press), among other works, which you can learn more about here.
Professor Bruner works in social and political philosophy and philosophy of science. You can learn more about his writings here and here.
The new assistant professors are:
- Toby Friend (Metaphysics, Philosophy of Science) currently Research Associate at the University of Bristol
- Regina Hurley (Applied Ontology, Epistemology) currently ABD at Northwestern
- Alexandra Oprea (Political Philosophy, Political Economy, PPE) currently Assistant Professor at UNC Chapel Hill (in Political Science)
- Alexander Schaefer (Social and Political Philosophy; Decision Theory, PPE) currently NYU Research Fellow
- Daniel Stephens (Chinese and Comparative, Moral Philosophy) currently Assistant Professor at Duke Kunshun University.
Buffalo Philosophy Department Chair Neil Williams writes that the hires are part of the department’s efforts to reinforce their strengths in philosophy, politics, and economics (PPE) and applied ontology.
Congratulations to Buffalo and their new profs!
To Alex O and Dan: NC won’t be the same without you. One couldn’t ask for more brilliant (or fun) friends to talk philosophy with.
You’ll be missed!!Report