The American Academy of Arts and Sciences has announced its newly elected members, including several philosophers.
- Jeffrey Barrett, University of California, Irvine
- Elisabeth Lloyd, Indiana University
- Jeff McMahan, University of Oxford
- Nancy Sherman, Georgetown University
- Linda Zagzebski, University of Oklahona
Philosophers newly named as International Honorary Members are:
The American Academy of Arts and Sciences was founded in 1780 and describes itself as “a champion of scholarship, civil dialogue, and useful knowledge.” Among its various activities, “the Academy conducts research and develops policy recommendations to advance the humanities in academic scholarship and in the public sector, to display the importance of the arts in society, and to enrich the nation’s cultural life.” New membership in the Academy is via nomination and approval by its existing members.
There are 261 members across multiple disciplines in the new class. You can view their names here.