Some philosophy professors, realizing that many of their students are unfamiliar with writing philosophy papers, provide them with “how-to” guides to the task.
I thought it might be useful to collect examples of these. If you know of any already online, please mention them in the comments and include links. If you have a PDF of one that isn’t online that you’d like to share, you can email it to me and I can put in online and add it to the list below.
Guidelines for Students on Writing Philosophy Papers
- “Guidelines on Writing a Philosophy Paper” by Jim Pryor
- “Writing a Good Philosophy Paper” by Justin Weinberg
- “Writing a Philosophy Paper” by Peter Horban
- “Tips on Writing Philosophy Papers” by William Blattner
- “How to Write (not Terrible) Philosophy Papers” by Manuel Vargas
- “Philosophy Paper Writing Guidelines” by Tim O’Keefe and Anne Farrell
- “A Guide to Writing” by Michael Huemer
- “Guidelines on Writing a Philosophy Paper” by Stephen Yablo
- “7 Steps to a Better Philosophy Paper” by Bryan W. Roberts
- “Some Writing Tips for Philosophy” by Brian Earp