The Philosopher’s Annual aims to identify “the ten best articles published in philosophy each year.” It’s an aim that’s “as simple to state as it is admittedly impossible to fulfill,” say its editors, but that has not stopped them from producing 39 volumes so far. The most recent one, for articles published in 2019, has just been compiled.
Here are the ten articles included in it:
- Brad Armendt, “Causal Decision Theory and Decision Instability,” from the Journal of Philosophy
- Maegan Fairchild, “The Barest Flutter of the Smallest Leaf: Understanding Material Plenitude,” from the Philosophical Review
- Øystein Linnebo and Stewart Shapiro, “Actual and Potential Infinity,” from Noûs
- Jon McGinnis, “A Continuation of Atomism: Shahrastānī on the Atom and Continuity,” from the Journal of the History of Philosophy
- Jennifer M. Morton and Sarah K. Paul, “Grit,” from Ethics
- Jessica Moss and Whitney Schwab, “The Birth of Belief,” from the Journal of the History of Philosophy
- Sarah Moss, “Full Belief and Loose Speech,” from the Philosophical Review
- C. Thi Nguyen, “Games and the Art of Agency,” from the Philosophical Review
- Susanna Rinard, “Equal Treatment for Belief,” from Philosophical Studies
- Anat Schechtman, “Three Infinities in Early Modern Philosophy,” from Mind
The list is the result of nominations from roughly 70 philosophers who suggest articles for consideration for one of the top ten slots (with these nominating editors sometimes soliciting suggestions from people they know via email or social media). The nominations are then assessed by the editorial team of Philosopher’s Annual: Patrick Grim (Michigan, Stony Brook), Laura K. Soter, Angela Sun, and Calum McNamara (Michigan).
The nominating editors this year were: Jc Beall, Ned Block, Ben Bradley, Liam Kofi Bright, Lara Buchak, Tyler Burge, Victor Caston, David Chalmers, Andrew Chignell, Roger Crisp, Helen De Cruz, Cian Dorr, Adam Elga, Branden Fitelson, Graeme Forbes, Aaron Garrett, Michael Glanzberg, Alexander Guerrero, Alan Hajek, Ned Hall, Elizabeth Harman, Gary Hatfield, Benj Hellie, Christopher Hitchcock, Des Hogan, Simon Huttegger, Brad Inwood, Simon Keller, Tom Kelly, Niko Kolodny, Jennifer Lackey, Marc Lange, Brian Leiter, Ernie Lepore, Neil Levy, Martin Lin, John Marenbon, Colin McLarty, Jeff McMahan, Shaun Nichols, Paul Noordhof, Rohit Parikh, Derk Pereboom, Richard Pettigrew, Duncan Pritchard, Greg Restall, Geoffrey Sayre-McCord, Barry Schein, Mark Schroeder, Laura Schroeter, Stewart Shapiro, Ted Sider, Scott Soames, Roy Sorensen, Katie Steele, Eric Swanson, Johan van Benthem, Mark van Roojen, Sergio Tenenbarum, Peter B. M. Vranas, Eric Watkins, Sam Wheeler, Gideon Yaffe, Jose Zalabardo, Kevin Zollman
You can view previous volumes of Philosopher’s Annual here.
UPDATE (9/25/20): The Philosopher’s Annual website has been updated with the new edition, including links to the articles.
(via Patrick Grim)