Philosopher’s Annual is “an attempt to pick the ten best articles of the year” in academic philosophy. Volume 38, covering articles from 2018, is about to be released.The ten articles in that volume are:
- Mark Alfano, J. Adam Carter & Marc Cheong, “Technological Seduction and Self-Radicalization,” from the Journal of the American Philosophical Association
- Jc Beall, “The Simple Argument for Subclassical Logic,” from Philosophical Issues
- Selim Berker, “The Unity of Grounding,” from Mind
- Guillermo Del Pinal, “Meaning, Modulation, and Context: A Multidimensional Semantics for Truth-Conditional Pragmatics,” from Linguistics and Philosophy
- Louise Hanson, “Moral Realism, Aesthetic Realism, and the Asymmetry Claim,” from Ethics
- Remco Heesen, “When Journal Editors Play Favorites,” from Philosophical Studies
- Matthias Jenny, “Counterpossibles in Science: The Case of Relative Computability,” from Noûs
- Dilip Ninan, “Quantification and Epistemic Modality,” from the Philosophical Review
- Amia Srinivasan, “The Aptness of Anger,” from the Journal of Political Philosophy
- Kenneth Walden, “Practical Reason Not As Such,” from the Journal of Ethics and Social Philosophy
An attempt to compile a list of the best articles in philosophy is, the editors admit, “as simple to state as it is admittedly impossible to fulfill,” given the massive volume of publications in philosophy each year and the diversity of criteria that may be employed. The results are the work of roughly 70 philosophers who nominate articles for consideration for one of the top ten slots. These nominating editors often solicit suggestions from people they know (via email or social media).
The editors of Philosopher’s Annual are Patrick Grim (Center for Study of Complex Systems, University of Michigan; Logic & Formal Semantics, Philosophy, Stony Brook) and University of Michigan graduate students Eduardo Martinez, Angela Sun, and Elise Woodard.
The nominating editors this year were: Jc Beall, Ned Block, Ben Bradley, Liam Kofi Bright, Lara Buchak, Tyler Burge, Victor Caston, David Chalmers, Andrew Chignell, Therese Cory, Roger Crisp, Helen De Cruz, Cian Dorr, Adam Elga, Branden Fitelson, Graeme Forbes, John Gardner, Michael Glanzberg, Alexander Guerrero, Alan Hajek, Ned Hall, Elizabeth Harman, Gary Hatfield, Benj Hellie, Christopher Hitchcock, Des Hogan, Simon Huttegger, Brad Inwood, Simon Keller, Tom Kelly, Niko Kolodny, Jennifer Lackey, Marc Lange, Brian Leiter, Ernie Lepore, Neil Levy, Martin Lin, Antonia LoLordo, John Marenbon, Colin McLarty, Jeff McMahan, Shaun Nichols, Paul Noordhof, Rohit Parikh, Derk Pereboom, Richard Pettigrew, Duncan Pritchard, Greg Restall, Geoffrey Sayre-McCord, Barry Schein, Mark Schroeder, Laura Schroeter, Stewart Shapiro, Ted Sider, Scott Soames, Roy Sorensen, Katie Steele, Eric Swanson, Johan van Benthem, Mark van Roojen, Sergio Tenenbarum, Peter B. M. Vranas, Eric Watkins, Sam Wheeler, Gideon Yaffe, Jose Zalabardo, and Kevin Zollman.
You can view previous volumes of Philosopher’s Annual here .
(via Patrick Grim)