In one of the comments on the recent post about attendance, Chris requests a follow-up discussion on the mechanics of class participation. Some relevant questions:
- What kinds of class participation do you ask your students for?
- How do you encourage a wide range of students to participate?
- Does participation count as part of your students’ final grade? If so, for how much?
- How do you grade student participation? What qualitative and quantitative measures do you use?
- How do you keep track of how the students are doing in participation? Do you grade them every class period?
- How do you handle that guy?
Other questions, as well as some answers, are welcome.