Eight philosophers have been elected into the American Academy of Arts & Sciences (AAAS) as part of its 2015 class:
- Marilyn McCord Adams (Rutgers)
- David Z. Albert (Columbia)
- Johan van Benthem (Stanford/Amsterdam)
- Patricia Smith Churchland (UC San Diego)
- Sally Haslanger (MIT)
- Johan Anthony Willem Kamp (Stuttgart)
- John MacFarlane (Berkeley)
- Tim W.E. Maudlin (NYU)
The AAAS describes itself as “one of the nation’s most prestigious honorary societies” and “a leading center for independent policy research.” In order to be a candidate for membership in the AAAS, an existing member has to nominate you. The entire 2015 class is listed here.
Readers may recall the AAAS’s Humanities Departmental Survey, which this past year included a report on philosophy.